In the last presentation, I presented to you how I finally came to model the relationship between the Law, and the Creation, the Fall, and the Atonement. However, I only alluded to the fact that each arrow in the below model had a scripture reference to support the relationship. This presentation will provide you with those connections, in hopes of enlightening your understanding.
As we discuss this, please note that each number arrow is related to the number item below. Also, note that as these ideas were drawn from 2 Nephi Chapter 2 many of the references with be found there.
1. 2 Nephi 2:11-13: The key verse here is verse 13, which points out ultimately, that if it weren’t for the law, then there would be not creations.
2. 2 Nephi 2:5: It is very simply stated that by the law, we are “cut off” or fallen from our father in heaven.
3. 2 Nephi 2:7: Christ gave him self up in the Atonement that he might answer the ends of the law. I hesitated putting this arrow in, because it seemed to me that the arrow would be better served pointing the from the Atonement to the Law, however, as I further develop this topic in futher articles, you will see why the relationship is kept the way it is.
2 Nephi 11:4: Perhaps this scripture further promotes the idea that the arrow should be reverese, however, my purpose in including it is to show that the Law isn’t just some greater, unknown law, but the Law of the Gospel (or as is stated here the Law of Moses, which is a lesser portion of the Law of the Gospel).
4. 2 Nephi 2:22: This shows that the fall was necessary for man’s progress. But man could not have transgressed the law (or fallen), if they hadn’t been created first.
5. Mosiah 3:11: This shows, that the Atonement counter acts the results of the fall, and that the atonement is the next step in the progress of mankind.
2 Nephi 9:6-7: We further see that the Atonement is necessary for us to overcome the fall. But we also understand that the fall is necessary for the atonement.
There are many other references that I could share, and I am sure many that I myself am not yet aware. I don’t expect that this is a comprehensive list. I do invite you to share with many any that you feel would lend to a better understanding of this model.
I know that these things are true, and I testify to them in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, Amen.